[RP TownTalk] Children in streets - Ravenswood Road area

S Collins ugglywump at yahoo.com
Fri May 6 12:27:54 UTC 2016

 There'd been 2 posts last months about kids playing in the street on Ravenswood Road; just a note to say I've noticed a bunch of kids playing in the streets as well, don't know if it's the same group or not (about 8-10 elementary school-age kids).  I don't drive and when I get a cab to come home from the store, several times the cab has had to slow down to a stop in the 4700/4800 block of Ravenswood, as this group of children is out in the street on bikes or playing.  They make no move to get out of the way of the cab.  Yesterday, I left my apt. and saw this same bunch of kids walking from Ravenswood up Lafayette, in the street w/ their bikes and scooters, just goofing around.  They were almost under the EW Highway overpass and a pickup truck came around the corner at speed and had to swerve way to the left to avoid hitting the children.  I yelled at them to get out of the street or they could get hurt, but either their English isn't that good or they were just ignoring me, as they made no effort to get out of the way.  I know kids need a place to play, I know children tend to be careless, but if this keeps up, sooner or later one or more of these children is going to get hit by a car, or cause an accident if a vehicle has to swerve around them and ends up hitting another vehicle.  Can't say what should or could be done, I know the police cannot 'babysit' a particular area all the time. Perhaps the school could send out a flyer, telling parents to watch over their children, or maybe handouts at the Farmers' Market or the "Night Out Against Crime" event?  Esp. with summer vacation coming up, children will be out and about more than ever.  At any rate, drivers in the area, please, please be careful.