[RP TownTalk] Reflections

Jonathan Ebbeler jebbeler at efusionconsulting.com
Sat May 7 05:04:40 UTC 2016

Alan

In reflection over the last week as I attended a family funeral I realized what a difference a year makes.  A year ago when I attended a similar funeral the town sent flowers, Councilmen sent condolences etc.  Two months ago when another funeral was had, nary a word was said, nor any niceties etc.  This week same story.  The 21-gun salute and the military volunteers that conducted the funeral showed the utmost respect for a fallen comrade they didn't know but had a shared bond and experience with.  I was saddened how the same respect and dignity is not shown in politics.

Emily Fanning's post was right.  It is ridiculous that this has debased into nonsensical high school drivel.  My posts weren't about who said what etc.  It was to communicate my absolute disappointment in someone I considered a friend and colleague who couldn't be bothered to ask my opinion on one of the most important questions that has come before Council in my 5 years.  I expected this from Archer, not you.  My opinion is my opinion and no matter how events are characterized my opinion wasn't valued enough to be directly engaged nor should I have had to beg to talk.  You can certainly state that you wanted to, or that since I wrote thousands of words on the subject I wasn't worth engaging, and you were too busy to ask me what I thought and why, but ultimately I still get the final say on my own opinion on if you heard, understood, or even engaged my opinion.

It is a silly conversation.  You didn't need my vote, you didn't ask for my vote, so my opinion was and is pretty meaningless.  My posts were to express my singular disappointment in your actions.  This was a significant aberration in your behavior; you have over the last five years been a good legislator, this time you weren't (but again I am just one vote and this is just my opinion - I am not even your constituent, I am just a resident in town).  The Mayor is the Mayor.  I am sure most people in the public understand Archer and I have significant disagreements that go back to 2011 when I had to fight continuously against his ridiculously dumbed down sweetheart deals he tried to cut behind Council's back on Cafritz.  I know you remember those nights, I certainly do.

No matter how the Mayor wants to spin this current issue, the legislative process was not as open and transparent as it could have been.  The public has taken notice - words like 'referendum' haven't come up since the Field of Dreams.  They certainly could have during the Cafritz votes but why would they?  We bent over backwards to hold dedicated Public Hearings, ward Town Hall meetings, worksession after worksession, legislative meetings galore, ensured it was the first item on agendas, and ensured there were as many eyes as possible on it.  In short we did the exact opposite of what happened with the Charter Change vote.

The legislation should have by our Town Code gone through the Legislative Committee, a committee both you and I sit on.  I will continue to question the lack of transparency and agendas not being revealed publically because I currently have significant property interests impacted by the town running a structural deficit.

I am glad there is going to be a focus on the budget this year.  I am glad I don't have to beat my head against the wall for yet another year watching Council approve dumb budgets.  It has been disappointing to see our budget woes spun over the last few weeks on specious claims that are easy to evaluate by looking and data; as they say - numbers don't lie and structural deficits always catch up with you.  It would be helpful if the town had, as the auditors indicated as a financial stability weakness, budgeted for lawsuits the Town is party to.  Hell, we had to pay out last month to Greg's Towing for a lawsuit the Town initiated, how do you think the racial discrimination and malicious prosecution lawsuit they filed will turn out (hint - budget for economic losses in FY17).  I wish you had answered my direct questions about this year's budget and also addressed the discrepancy between your statements and the actual financial data.

I hope in looking at the budget, both this year's and next, that you and CM Lingua, as the remaining representatives on the Economic Development Committee, do not drop the ball and refuse to fund deals that bring significant new development into our Town Center.  I don't care about credit or legacy but these are deals I spent a lot of time lining up and just need the town to say yes to grants requested.  Let me know if you need any information.  Happy to help.  As I said to the Mayor last year right before his shenanigans started in earnest, I am one of the best tools the town has yet not only am I not used to my full potential, the town routinely tries to work against me.  Try to remember that these deals are about delivering on what the town has asked for every year, viable businesses at Town Center and have nothing to do with me.

I am definitely looking forward to a change of guard in 2017; I gave this a head start by resigning.  It was not a big secret that I had no intention of running again.  The role of any leader on day one is to identify and start training their replacements.

JWE