[RP TownTalk] Some old History

Audrey Bragg abragg7393 at aol.com
Mon May 23 19:48:02 UTC 2016

Recently I have been re reading the Riverdale Book "From Mansion to Municipality".  Just wanted to share this with the residents who may or may not know of Mable Munch."Mrs. Munch, considered by herself to be a lifelong tomboy, said that the do-gooder in her prompted the move into civic activity; "I saw a whole new area that needed cleaning up, and I moved into it like I always did everything - with a zip and a punch.  This vitality won Mrs. Munch the hearts of her fellow Riverdalians, who recall that they often saw her weeding and planting flowers in the town's parks.  Her neighbor's respect  translated into their votes in 1970, Mrs. Munch became only the  second woman in Riverdale's history to win a seat on the town council.
Mrs. Munch believed that women were needed in politics: "The men need a woman around to stir them up...and keep them from knocking their heads together".  However, when asked if women should be the majority on the town council, Mrs. Munch replied with a vehement "No".  While a councilmember Mrs. Munch worked on the budget and fiscal policies (she successfully led the movement to enact the town's current tax cap), revisions to town ordinances and zoning controversies.  She served until 1975, declining to run again.  After her death on New Year's Day 1988, she was honored with a park on Queensbury Road near the Town Center."

 I loved this little story about her.  Wow, 1970 until women were in the town government.  Now we are looking at a woman President of the US.  In the past several years we have only men working on our town government and lately they have been "knocking their heads together"  And imagine a woman working on taxes, ordinances, zoning, budget etc.  What a woman.  Then she decided to get out after 5 years... her own "term limit".  (I think we should have term limits.  People in the same position for too man years get stale)

I believe that every New Year's Day we should all gather at Mable Munch Park and have a champagne toast to one great Riverdale Lady!

Audrey Bragg