[RP TownTalk] Free PGCPS Family Institute Fall Courses

Jessica Barnes jbarnes at riverdaleparkmd.gov
Thu Nov 3 17:56:55 UTC 2016

YOU'RE INVITED! REGISTER NOW FOR FREE
PGCPS FAMILY INSTITUTE FALL 2016 COURSES!*

STRAND I - FAMILY EMPOWERMENT

IA. Navigating the PGCPS System for Success - Participants will be guided through resources to help them access the wealth of opportunities that PGCPS has available to support student achievement.

Hyattsville MS (North County) * Wednesday, December 7
Drew Freeman MS (Central County) * Wedneday, November 9
Oxon Hill MS (South County) * Wednesday, November 16

IB. What Should I Do With My Concerns? - Participants will be guided through the PGCPS systems and processes for addressing and resolving concerns in order to support student achievement with the Office of the Ombudsman.

Oaklands ES (North County) * Thursday, December 1
William Paca ES (Central County) * Thursday, November 17
Stephen Decatur MS (South County) * Thursday, December 8
STRAND II- 21ST CENTURY LEARNING
IIA. IEP: What Is It? How Do You Advocate for Your Child's Best Interests? - Join PGCPS experts to learn about your rights as a parent, how to best prepare for Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) Meetings and other resources that can help your child succeed.

Laurel ES (North County) * Wednesday, December 14
Francis Scott Key ES (Central County) * Thursday, November 10
Isaac J. Gourdine MS (South County) * Wednesday, November 30

IIB. Literacy for All Ages - Literacy strategies designed for families with students in Pre-K through Grade 5.

Laurel ES (North County) * Wednesday, November 30
Beacon Heights ES (Central County) * Thursday, December 15
Stephen Decatur MS (South County * Monday, December 12
STRAND III- Health and Wellness

IIIA. Keeping Our Children Safe - Learn from experts about the best practices in making sure that our children are in safe environments. Learn to identify signs of abuse (sexual, physical and emotional) and learn the procedures for ensuring the safety of all children in all environments.

High Point HS (North County) * Thursday, November 3
Martin Luther King Jr. MS (North County) * Thursday, December 1
Judge Sylvania Woods ES (Central County) * Monday, November 14
Charles Carroll MS (Central County) * Thursday, November 17
Glassmanor ES (South County) * Thursday, November 10
Oxon Hill MS (South County) * Thursday, December 8
STRAND IV- PGCPS Connects

IVA. Engaging All Families Level I - In this workshop, PGCPS educators will develop cultural competence, resulting in their ability to understand, communicate with, and effectively interact with all families leading to greater empowerment.

John Carroll ES * Wednesday, November 9
John Carroll ES * Thursday, November 17

All courses are from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Free Childcare for ages 4-12 while adults attend class.
To register or for more information: www.pgcpsfamily.org<http://www.pgcpsfamily.org> * 301-618-7356<tel:301-618-7356> * family.institute at pgcps.org<mailto:family.institute at pgcps.org>

*Dates are subject to change. Please check www.pgcpsfamily.org<http://www.pgcpsfamily.org>

  *   FI Fall Course Flyer.pdf<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbXNpZD0mYXVpZD0mbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTYxMTAyLjY1ODMzMzQxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE2MTEwMi42NTgzMzM0MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2ODY2Nzg1JmVtYWlsaWQ9YmVsaW5kYXE5QGFvbC5jb20mdXNlcmlkPWJlbGluZGFxOUBhb2wuY29tJnRhcmdldGlkPSZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&103&&&https://content.govdelivery.com/attachments/PGCPS/2016/11/01/file_attachments/649966/FI%2BFall%2BCourse%2BFlyer.pdf>

Jessica
Jessica E. Barnes
Town Clerk
Riverdale Park