[RP TownTalk] How to report a Railroad Quiet Zone Infraction

Jonathan Ebbeler jebbeler at efusionconsulting.com
Fri Nov 4 16:42:06 UTC 2016

Hi Lisa -

The use of horns was changed by the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) on April 27, 2005.  Sounding the horn is NOT at the discretion of the train engineer, it is mandated that they do so (unless there is a Quiet Zone established) by federal law.

Under the Train Horn Rule  (49 CFR Part 222), locomotive engineers must begin to sound train horns at least 15 seconds, and no more than 20 seconds, in advance of all public grade crossings.

Train horns must be sounded in a standardized pattern of 2 long, 1 short and 1 long blasts. The pattern must be repeated or prolonged until the lead locomotive or lead cab car occupies the grade crossing. The rule does not stipulate the durations of long and short blasts.

The maximum volume level for the train horn is 110 decibels which is a new requirement. The minimum sound level remains 96 decibels.
Under the FRA 'Final Rule', train horns may "still be used in emergency situations" within a Quiet Zone.

As my note indicated, and just to clarify, I was not suggesting anyone report an engineer if they sound a horny in those situations.....but many engineers are clearly unaware of the establishment of the RP Quiet Zone and are following the FRA mandated use of the horns, regardless of an emergency situation or not.

The information was provided to the public so they can report violations where Engineers are sounding horns in non-emergency situations and following the FRA-mandated use of the train horn which was modified with the establishment of the RP Quiet Zone.

I am also fine with the train engineer sounding the horn in emergency situations, I am just also asking that they follow the law. It takes a while for information to filter down from federal agencies to all line employees.

JWE