[RP TownTalk] Rt 1 and Sheridan (7-Eleven)

Heather Cronk heather.cronk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 15:06:50 UTC 2017

Yes, Sherene -- it appears that construction has begun and that it's
already a headache for those of us in the neighborhood...

Neighbors in the area lobbied the Town Council a few months ago to
designate the block of Sheridan between Route 1 and 45th as a one-way
street heading *out* of the neighborhood in order to avoid the kind of
logjam that has already started due to construction vehicles trying to get
into the neighborhood on a street that's far too narrow for it. I hope that
we can revisit that ask soon -- construction vehicles in a rush don't mix
well with school buses...

The email below is from one of my neighbors who has already had to engage
with the construction crew that has blocked the street. I hope the Town
Council takes seriously that the crew has been on-site for 48 hours and has
already created a dangerous situation for the neighborhood.

-Heather

----------

The 7-11 project on Rt 1 and Sheridan St has started - in fact it started on
Wednesday morning with a few contractors with plans in hand.  By the
evening, we had the street marked up and construction equipment on site.

Picture 1 is the school bus that arrives to pick up students from 46th and
Sheridan.  The bus could not make it to the stop sign on 45th St. because
there was a dump truck on one side and our neighbor parked on the other.
Our neighbor had to move his vehicle onto the sidewalk for the bus to make
it through.

This morning while waiting forever (I'm not exaggerating) at Sheridan
trying to make the Left turn to Rt 1, a contractor who made the Right turn
from Rt 1 to Sheridan decided to honk to get cars trying to exit Sheridan
to advance. In picture No. 2 his vehicle (not pictured) was behind the red
SUV entering the neighborhood.

Sheridan is bumper to bumper and the black tarp (i.e. Fence) that runs
around the corner from Sheridan to Rt 1 blocks the line of vision for cars
coming up Rt 1. (See Picture No. 3). It was difficult to see what cars were
coming and I drive a high minivan.  What about my neighbors who drive
smaller cars?  Are there plans (or what can we do) to have Sheridan
designated a one-way out of the neighborhood?  Is that possible?? Do we
have possible traffic relief scenarios?

[image: image2.JPG]

[image: image1.JPG]

[image: Inline image 2]