[RP TownTalk] Trees Cut Down on Bike Path near Greg's Towing

Bruce Wernek bruce.wernek at verizon.net
Tue May 2 11:07:42 UTC 2017

Excellent post Alison.

I'm guessing many of you think those businesses along Rhode Island Ave are not what "we want".  It's not about what "we want" people.  It's about our heritage, culture, and legacy in RP.  Alison eloquently articulated this "culture" below.  These businesses are just as much a part of RP as you are.  This is what makes RP, RP.  The way I look at it, if you relocated those businesses, you cut out an important piece of our community and discard it.

Consider all of the families that have been sustained over the years by the businesses along Rhode Island Ave.  It may cost more to relocate some of the businesses than their worth.  If that's the case, think about the impacts to the families of the employees not to mention RP.  There will be no more enthusiastic greetings from Pittcon employees, BBQs, and a vegetable garden among other things.

With a little vision and a cooperative effort between the citizenry, Town, and businesses, that stretch along Rhode Island Ave could be pointed up (sidewalks, landscaping, tree plantings) quite nicely.  It would cost a lot less that relocating those businesses.

As far as the tree's go, PEPCO has been pruning trees around power lines longer than many of you have been on the planet.  I trust their judgment.  Why would PEPCO prune/cut down trees that do not need it?  That costs money.  You can't sustain a profitable business by spending money on unnecessary work.