[RP TownTalk] Hyattsville Native Plant Sale - Saturday 8 am to 2 pm

Bart Lawrence bartkathleen at hotmail.com
Tue May 16 12:26:25 UTC 2017

8th Annual

Hyattsville Native Plant Sale

Saturday, May 20

(Updated Plant List – See Below – 4 New Varieties this Year)

Looking to make your garden or yard more beautiful, interesting, and inviting to birds, bees, and butterflies? Do you want to plant fruit-bearing shrubs? Or, maybe you want to replace some English ivy that’s smothering your garden. You can find all the plants you need to make these changes and more at the 8th Annual Hyattsville Native Plant Sale. Help spread the word.

What: Hyattsville Native Plant Sale

When: May 20 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Where: 5311 43rd Ave., Hyattsville, MD 20781

Learn more and look for updates on our website at http://hyattsvillees-pta.org/native-plant-sale/

Native Plant Sale – Hyattsville ES – PTA<http://hyattsvillees-pta.org/native-plant-sale/>
hyattsvillees-pta.org
Volunteer to help the PTA during the sale. Click here to sign up. All proceeds support Hyattsville Elementary School PTA and our efforts to improve academic ...

The following is our updated plant list, which is subject to change. The four new varieties are in bold.

·        Canadian Serviceberry

·        Swamp Rose Mallow

·        Orange Coneflower

·        Wild Columbine

·        Winterberry

·        Black-eyed Susan

·        Red Chokeberry

·        Blue Flag

·        Allegheny Blackberry

·        Butterfly Milkweed

·        Sweetspire

·        Black Raspberry

·        Calico Aster

·        Dense Blazing Star

·        Wrinkle-leaf Goldenrod

·        New England Aster

·        Cardinal Flower

·        Meadowsweet

·        Blue False Indigo

·        Wild Bergamot

·        Steeplebush

·        Marsh Marigold

·        Sensitive Fern

·        Eastern Marsh Fern

·        Eastern Redbud

·        Cinnamon Fern

·        Highbush Blueberry

·        Summersweet

·        Tall White Beard Tongue

·        Blue Vervain

·        Redosier Dogwood

·        Christmas Fern

·        Ironweed

·        Persimmon

·        Wax Myrtle

·        Arrowwood Viburnum

·        Purple Coneflower

·        Winged Sumac

·        Blackhaw Viburnum

·        Spotted Joe-Pye

·        Swamp Rose

·        Cranberrybush Viburnum

·        Wood Geranium

·        Rugosa Rose

·        Virginia Rose

·        Ox-eye Sunflower

Why Use Native Plants?

  *   They grow with minimal use of water, fertilizers, and pesticides.

  *   Wildlife species have evolved with these plants and use them as their habitat.

  *   They are adapted to local soil, rainfall, and temperature conditions.

  *   They have developed natural defenses to many insects and diseases.

  *   Using native plants helps preserve the balance and beauty of natural ecosystems.

Visit the Maryland Department of Natural Resources’ website to learn more about creating a garden to attract hummingbirds, butterflies, and bees. http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Habitat/WildAcres/wahumbutbee.asp

All proceeds go to enrich learning opportunities for Hyattsville Elementary School students.

Bart Lawrence

Hyattsville, MD

301-312-9170[X]