[RP TownTalk] SUNDAY! Navigating Courageous Conversations about Politics and Race with Family

Sarah Combs sarahswalk at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 00:30:07 UTC 2017

Been meaning to register for this free, kid friendly event? Now's the time!
Walk-ins are welcome but we'd love an acurate head count to plan
accordingly.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/talking-trump-turkey-and-taking
-a-knee-tickets-38994327082

What: Talking Trump, Turkey and Taking a Knee

When: November 12, 2-4pm

Where: Hyattsville Municipal Building 4310 Gallatin St, Hyattsville, MD
20781

One year after Trump's election, the country is still very much divided
over the dangerous and heartless policies that he has moved forward -- and
those divisions often play out at family dinner tables. As we head into
Thanksgiving, Green Line SURJ wants to support folks who are gathering with
family members near and far who might feel very differently than we do
about the Trump presidency.

Join us for a two-hour interactive workshop on how to navigate necessary
and courageous conversations with family members who might support the
kinds of policies that Trump is moving forward. We will dig in on and
practice a variety of strategies for difficult conversations that retain
family relationships while holding ourselves accountable to moving those
closest to us toward a vision of racial justice.

This workshop is designed to meet the needs of anyone interested in digging
into family conversations, but it is primarily geared toward those who have
had no experience with these conversations or who have broached
conversations and quickly gotten stuck.

Registration is required.  Free with a suggested Donation of $5 to benefit
the Food Justice Coalition of 20743: a group of local organizations and
residents who do the work of establishing food justice throughout the
Greater Capitol Heights area. Our definition of food justice is affordable,
accessible, quality food for all that reflects what the community wants and
fosters health and economic growth. Our mission is to restore ownership of
the local food system to oppressed communities of color through progressive
policy, systemic, and environmental changes.

Child care and light refreshments will be provided. The Hyattsville
Municipal Building is ADA compliant. If you need additional accommodations,
such as an interpreter, or have any questions, please email
greenlinesurj at gmail.com.

The Hyattsville Municipal Building has a parking lot, street parking (free
on Sundays), and is located near a number of bus stops which serve the West
Hyattsville and PG Plaza Metro stations, along with the University of
Maryland. Visit the following link for more information: http://www.hyatts
ville.org/277/Transportation
<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hyattsville.org%2F277%2FTransportation&h=ATNfZWg8Jnzq2lmMuGScWlha5eOzfFUnUn-l_NVD9FgCNvao6LHHizUk-B8BktoTQf-ozD_dMGWvQp9OmGt6a8-P5UDranXfH16J1uSTwKy4fW4P3FKZ2D22A8UrQONoNbJt2M2MCeTwnzn1Oyo-QgpVVmIPGLbqBogoPpporBPJ>

We'd love your help spreading the word! Here is the Facebook Event.

https://www.facebook.com/events/794118104123405

Thanks,

Sarah Combs on behalf of Showing Up for Racial Justice Green Line

greenlinesurj at gmail.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/SURJGreenLine/about