[RP TownTalk] RP Farmers Market Weekly Highlights

Jim Coleman rpkfarmmkt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 04:27:53 UTC 2017

Tomorrow : November 30, 2017  3 - 7PM
@: 6204 Rhode Island Avenue, Riverdale Park, MD (next to Riverdale
MARC station)

Get your great Autumn Crisp, Ever Crisp, Braeburn, Crimson Crisp, Crimson
Jonagold, Daybreak Fuji, Gala, Ginger Gold,  Honey Crisp, Jonathan, Macoun,
Nittany, Royal Court, Snap Stayman apples; kiwi berries, free range hen
eggs; green beans, beets, cabbage, cauliflower, collards; dino, green & red
boar kale, okra; red & yellow onions; some peppers, both sweet & hot;
potatoes, arugula & salad mix; winter squash, sunchokes;  sweet potatoes,
swiss chard, some tomatoes and other crops while they last.  Apples, fresh
and hard cider, apple sauce, pastured meats, raw milk cheeses, fresh goat
cheese, exotic mushrooms, free range hen & duck eggs,  and more while we
enjoy the changing seasons. Don't miss it! Evening hours are fun at the
market! We look forward to seeing you every Thursday from 3 to 7 PM @
Riverdale Park’s Town Center (across from the Riverdale MARC train station).
Here’s a great treat for the season: made from scratch caramel apples using
available ingredients from McCleaf’s Orchard & Blades Orchard.

WEATHER: High 57, Mostly sunny and breezy(according to Accuweather).

Tomorrow's lineup includes the following vendors:
Groff's Content Farm
 Blades Orchard
Cat's Paw Organic Farm
McCleaf's Orchard
ECO City Farms
King Mushrooms
Twin Valley Distillers
Zeke's Coffee of DC
Stone Hearth Bakery
El Piquin (Mexican food)
Roy & RT’s Kitchen & Garden (Continued support makes it work).

Music Acts: (Sorry no music this week).
Kid Fun: Sidewalk chalk

ECO City Farms is back!
After a short hiatus from our CSA program and the Riverdale Farmers Market,
ECO City Farms is back and better than ever! In three short months the
staff at ECO have applied over eight hundred wheelbarrows of compost (more
than doubling the growing space at the Edmonston farm), built a new mobile
greenhouse for our Bladensburg farm, renovated our kitchen and processing
facility, and have nearly completed the construction of our on-site
classroom/community center. We look forward to seeing you and all of your
friends and neighbors at our local market this Thursday!

Groff''s Content Farm offers great quality sustainably raised beef, pork,
chicken and lamb and is featuring their amazing Chicken Pot Pie on their
ready to warm up menu.

Maryland Market Money is back with a maximum $5 per week on SNAP purchases.

We are offering a new option for local businesspeople that complement our
food options.
One local business per week will be offered a slot at the farmers market to
offer services and goods that the market doesn't offer for $28 per week. We
suggest once a month attendance. If you're interested, please contact us.

Prince George’s County Health Department is finished with WIC vouchers for
the 2017 season.

Coming Attractions:

We’ll have two new vendors starting next week.

Winter is coming and so is the Winter Market. As far as we know, we’re
outside until the 14th of December. We will be open in the old S & J
Restaurant for Thursdays, 3 to 7 PM from December 14th, 21st, 28th, January
4th, 11th, 18th, 25th, February 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd, March 1st, 8th, 15th,
22nd, and 29th.

Festival of Lights & Holiday Market will be on Saturday, December 16th from
Noon to 8 PM. Music venue will be @ the Archie Edwards Blues Heritage
Foundation building.

Activities include: Eight hours of live musicians, all day unique craft
shopping, Santa visits from 2 to 5 PM, and Singing trolleys through the
neighborhood from 530PM to 8PM including the Riversdale House Museum.

We still need volunteers for fundraising (advertising, music, and
trolleys), decorating, Santa visit operations, both singing on trolleys and
trolley navigation. Contact Jim Coleman for further details.

Important Notices:
Food safety notice: Due to our county's health department regulations, dogs
are no longer welcome at the farmers market. We love dogs but had too many
incidents.

Important note about parking: only parallel parking is allowed on Maryland
Ave (the road that passes under East-West Highway) -- please do not park in
any other manner.

Got ideas for improvements? Talk to or email Jim Coleman and share your
thoughts!  We can do it: change begins in Riverdale Park!

Bring Your Own Bag! We are also interested in making sure folks know about
us on Yelp and other sites. Shameless Promotion: Check us out on Twitter,
 Facebook, and now instagram!

Our favorite nationally known local food site, localharvest.org is always
looking for more reviews of the market.
Send us your recipe with local ingredients and we'll put the best recipes
in next week's newsletter and give you a $10 Fruits & Veggies gift
certificate from the market! P

--
Thanks,

Jim Coleman