[RP TownTalk] Town Charter Amendment Process

Alan K. Thompson akthompson at riverdaleparkmd.gov
Mon Apr 2 02:27:36 UTC 2018

Given the discussion going on here about what may or may not happen at the
April 2 (tomorrow!) Legislative Meeting, I thought I would discuss the
process of amending the Town Charter.

Here is the language from the Charter on Amendment:

*§ 1008: Charter Amendment*
*This charter may be amended in accordance with the provisions of Article
23A of the Annotated Code of Maryland, provided, however, that no amendment
to this charter shall be passed at the meeting at which it is introduced.
At any regular or special meeting held not fewer than six (6) nor more than
sixty (60) days after the meeting at which an amendment to this charter is
introduced, it shall be passed, or passed as amended, or rejected, or have
its consideration deferred. The amendment or a fair summary thereof shall
be published at least once in a newspaper having general circulation in the
town before it is acted upon by the council.*

In my Town Crier article for April 2018 (at
http://www.riverdaleparkmd.info/Crier/9673-April%202018%20Crier.pdf) I
discussed the "provisions of Article 23A of the Annotated Code of
Maryland," which say the amendment *either* by resolution of the Town
Council *or* by petition of the voters.  A petition of the voters is
*required* for the amendment to go to referendum (read my article for more
details, or read a plain-language description of the process required by
the state at https://www.mdmunicipal.org/DocumentCenter/Home/View/13).

Because of the provisions of § 1008, the Council *cannot* vote to approve
the amendment at the meeting where it is introduced, which usually means
that it is not even discussed at the meeting where it is introduced (a
strict interpretation of Robert's Rules of Order would not allow
discussion).  The Council has traditionally listened to comments from
members of the public that are present, which I expect to happen tomorrow.

Once the amendment has been introduced, the Council must vote on the next
action (pass, amend and pass, reject, or defer) within 60 days. That will
almost certainly happen at the May 7 Legislative meeting; the June 4
meeting is more than 60 days from the expected April 2 introduction.

Note that the proposed legislation was discussed and amended by the
Legislative Committee (a subcommittee of the entire council) during two
meetings (February 21 and March 8) prior to the introduction in its current
form as presented to the entire Council. The fact that the Legislative
Committee was working on this legislation was announced both in
Councilmember Dixon's Ward Report in the Town Crier, and in posts to
TownTalk and TownAnnounce announcing the meeting times, locations, and
agendas.

Best regards,

Alan
--