[RP TownTalk] Voter Expansion Legislation Questions?

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 12:54:47 UTC 2018

Hi Bruce,

I know I'm not Councilmember Dixon, but I want to address an assumption in
your questions.

This legislation does not target "illegal" immigrants. It is aimed at
enfranchising people who are here legally (e.g., on H1B Visas, with Green
Cards, etc.). I assume that people who are here illegally would want to
avoid adding their names and addresses to a registry that the Town would
turn over to ICE if requested to do so.

Also, it's important to remember that the council sets policy by voting to
change the Town Charter. The procedures by which that policy is implemented
is part of the Town's Code and, in this case, as part of the Town's
Election Manual.

-Sarah