[RP TownTalk] Voter Expansion Legislation Questions?

Spiro Dimakas spiro.dimakas11 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 20:30:02 UTC 2018

Sarah,

I am never surprised what people would do....ever. Documented or
undocumented, illegal or legal, it doesn't truly matter. Almost every
country in the world requires citizenship to vote in elections. This is
done deliberately and for good reason in a democracy.

I have no problem with us changing a charter to be more inclusive in local
matters. But is it worth all of the effort to change a charter and keep
track of the separate register of voters? I feel like if you have an issue
in this town, historicaly you can go to a council-member (whether we voted
or not) and the issue is addressed promptly. We also have a new form of
Town Government and don't rely on the council-members nearly as much as we
used to; with a Town Manager who is very attentive to resident complaints.

I just haven't seen a reason to justify this level of change besides it
being a current political "hot-topic". Everytime this issue has come up in
other municipalities the issue divides the town and causes problems. I
would love to hear why making voting more inclusive than what is set by
state and federal law is required for this town. I look forward to
attending to the meeting tonight and next month (even swapped off work to
be there).

Spiro Dimakas