[RP TownTalk] middle school

Alan K. Thompson akthompson at riverdaleparkmd.gov
Wed Jun 13 23:46:09 UTC 2018

Dear Ms. DePrato Miller,

The town is painfully aware of gang issues in both William Wirt and
Parkdale; a gang-related stabbing happened in the woods near Parkdale in
February of this year, and our police were well aware of it (even though it
is outside our boundaries - the police know that criminals don't respect
municipal boundaries).  The surprise is at the reported level of gang
activity - our understanding was that it was much lower than was reported
in the article.  As I said in my response to Audrey, we are working with
the county (both police and PGCPS) to provide information and assistance to
better understand the situation, and if possible provide resources to
address it.

Sincerely,

Alan

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 6:09 PM, tazimax <tazimax at verizon.net> wrote:

> I am very surprised you didn't know about the gang issues in that
> neighborhood.  I grew up there and my mother lived there for 50 years. 10
> years ago her neighbor was assaulted by an MS13 member when he was trying
> to defend his kids. 43 stitches later he has a huge scar. The gangs have
> been around for years. My 25 year old knew them when he was a child here. I
> cannot believe that the town was ignorant to this fact. Tags are always
> being removed from the BW Parkway bridge. It saddens me that it is only
> recognized as an issue when it makes the national news.
> Carol DePrato Miller
>

> Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

Alan K. Thompson, Mayor
Town of Riverdale Park
5008 Queensbury Road, Riverdale Park, MD 20737
http://www.riverdaleparkmd.info
akthompson at riverdaleparkmd.gov