[RP TownTalk] SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION UPDATE NOTICE – REGARDING THE HIKER BIKER TRAIL

Dan Behrend danbehrend at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 20:25:49 UTC 2018

 This is disappointing.

While I certainly don't condone the actions that led to the developer's
decision to again limit pedestrian access to the site - vandalism, two bad
drivers, a letter from a resident of College Park - there has to be a
better solution than blocking the trail for two weeks or longer.

At a minimum, it would've been nice if they waited until the sidewalk along
Route 1 was finished before they installed the fence.

As someone who bikes on DC roads with high volumes of traffic past the
construction of a bridge, two very tall buildings, a stadium, and a
national memorial everyday, I don't understand why having a trail through
Riverdale Park Station proves to be so difficult.

Can someone from the town please clarify whether this is going to be a
recurring issue with the trail being inaccessible because the developer
will not permit access due to nearby construction? What happens to the
trail when they finish building 5 garage, start on the hotel, etc.?

Also, did the town have any input in closing the trail yesterday?