[RP TownTalk] Proposed legislation to allow non citizens to vote in RP

Anthony Zaun tonyzaun at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 9 15:41:00 UTC 2018

I was not able to attend the March 8th meeting of the Legislative Committee but I am not opposed to expanding the vote to RP residences who are not U.S. citizens. People who are not U.S. citizens and reside in RP, or any community for that matter, may be teachers in the public schools, they may be university professors or researchers, doctors, dentists, nurses, or they may be the people who provide care for the elderly. They may own a restaurant or other business that serves members of the community. People who are not U.S. citizens also serve in the U.S. military. So some of these non-citizens living in RP may be veterans or may have supported U.S. troops abroad as interpreters or in other capacities. There are many reasons why a person living in this country, and in our community, may not have U.S. citizenship but that should not be the criteria being eligible to vote in our local elections.