[RP TownTalk] EXT : Proposed "Voter Expansion" legislation

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 00:55:45 UTC 2018

First of all, I hope we can keep in mind that the legislation is currently
in the "draft" stage.

I'm thinking that perhaps our discussion should focus on our goals and how
to accomplish those goals. I'm viewing the draft legislation (which hasn't
even gone to the council for consideration yet because it's still being
actively revised) as one possible way to address the goal of increasing
civic engagement by all of our residents. There are additional ways to
accomplish this goal. Let's think about them!

Liz asks some important questions.

>> 1. What is the genesis of this legislation? <<

also

>> 2.  Assuming here... If the goal is to increase engagement and input
into the town by all residents, there are existing ways that can already
happen. All residents are welcome at committee meetings, council meetings,
etc. We struggle to get US citizen residents to participate!  <<

It's my understanding that one reason for the legislation is that municipal
ward boundaries are created based on Census data, and in particular on the
basis of population. Wards are based on the population of registered voters
- just the "raw" population numbers. This has led to wards (5 and 6, in
particular) that have many many residents most of whom are not eligible to
vote, much less run for council.

To whit, in 2013, 7 people voted in Ward 5, and 3 voted in Ward 6. In 2015,
2 people voted in Ward 5, and 1 voted in Ward 6. In 2017, 5 voted in Ward
5, and 6 voted in Ward 6.
​
By contrast, the number of voters in Ward 1 has been as low as 32 in 2015
to ​a high of 100 in 2017.

My question is, how can we increase civic engagement for the residents of
low voter turnout areas like Wards 5 and 6? Who will represent their
interests? I do think the current council members representing those wards,
Colleen Richardson and Jose Silva, do a wonderful job, and I'm grateful to
them for their hard work and dedication to serving their residents.

My goal is to increase civic engagement for *all residents* of our town,
whether they are immigrants or not. We all live here together and we are
all part of this community. How can we accomplish that? How can we be
friendly and supportive of our neighbors and friends?  There are lots of
ways to do that. Let's brainstorm!

>> Is RP only considering because other municipalities have passed similar
legislation? <<

I can't answer this question, but I know that the issue I mentioned above
is something I've worried about for many years now.

>>If so, what is the success rate in those towns? Did it increase civic
engagement or voter turn out?  Perhaps we wait a bit to see if the other
towns have met their goals, and if not, maybe the legislation should be
edited accordingly before being passed in RP. <<

This is an interesting and sensible approach to my view. Other
municipalities (Takoma Park) have had the revised laws in place for

>> 3. What is the anticipated increase in workload for the record keeping
required? <<

A very reasonable question that I'd love to know the answer to.

>> 4.  How will it be proven that a voter is not already registered
elsewhere? <<

This is, unfortunately, a problem for US Citizens as well. You are asked to
provide your previous address at the bottom of the application. The
assumption is that Prince George's County will notify the previous district
that you should be removed from the voter roles. That doesn't happen very
often, and as a result there are many more voters registered in a given
district than actually reside there. This is a national problem that
desperately needs fixing.

Determining whether a person who wants to register to vote actually lives
in town is a very real concern. It seems to me that the town would be wise
to require documentation that you actually live in Riverdale Park.
Something like what the schools do when students want to register - a valid
rental or lease agreement, or a utility bill in your name.

How would people feel about allowing immigrants who are here legally (e.g.,
have a Green Card) to vote?

-Sarah