[RP TownTalk] EXT : Proposed "Voter Expansion" legislation

Aunt Emily ourdollmom at aol.com
Sun Mar 11 01:46:02 UTC 2018

Sarah
One challenge I see is the immigrant residents are not trusting of the white residents.  I saw this 10 yrs ago when I first started teaching.  Then in these recent days' exchange, there were a few strong outbursts of anti- immigrant whites accusing the immigrants of all kinds of abuse and many/most of the accusations were not true.  So there needs to be some kind of communication in our town to separate fact from fiction which is what Dwight was trying to do.  There is so much confusion of what is fact or fiction that the immigrants are afraid to trust-- which is a horrible way to live and allows the lies to flourish and hatred to grow. Del and I would love to see baby steps taken to try to bring this towns 2 sides together and be real neighbors and friends.

People come to this country for many different reasons.  It would be nice if we made a list of all the reasons why people come or flee (sp) here & wind up in RP so there is groundwork laid to understand the immigrant's plight/story and reach out to maybe just be there & listen at first.  Maybe investigate how the DACA children are doing and listen to our own town's DACA kids to see how they feel.  How is their school work? Do they need help?  Kids want to be part of solutions-- not have a reputation of being the problem.

I remember few years back when Ray R.  and I worked/talked together and had some interested youth come to Town Hall  meetings to learn how things work and at the end got to ask questions and feel a part.  It was suppose to be once a year but some wanted to do it a little bit more.  They were enthused/excited - and the program dropped dead - sending what message??? to our youth???