[RP TownTalk] Proposed Legislation questions to the Legislative committee

Bad Bob sfmc68 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 29 14:08:50 UTC 2018

This was sent to the legislative committee and mayor on Tuesday after
the work session on 3/226/2018

Council Person Dixon,

Since you seem to have taken the lead in this proposed legislation, I am
addressing my questions to you but including the other members of the
legislative committee and the mayor for continuity.  You stated you
would be willing to take my questions and engage in dialogue on this
matter.  I reserve the right to ask follow up questions based on
additional concerns that arise from your responses and other emerging data.

Can you please explain to me the reasons for the apparent rush to change
the charter?

While I understand the process for proposing legislation as provided in
the charter, I am concerned that meeting the MINIMAL standard for the
process has been complied with but seems to me to be insufficient for a
change proposal of this magnitude. I believe that it would be more
appropriate to have a well publicized set of hearings on the proposal
with all of the details fleshed out fully before introducing the
proposed legislation. That would include multiple hearings with front
page town crier announcements of hearings, Posted public notices, and
fully detailed information on the proposed legislation and
implementation details.

I have a number of questions about section 501

    Can you explain to me in detail exactly how 501.a.1 and 501.a.3 will
be verified?

    Can you provide a cost estimate for those two sections?

    Can you please explain to me the rational for lowering the age of
enfranchisement?

    Can you please explain the inconsistency in 501.a.6? The wording of
the second sentence is in direct conflict with last sentence in that
section without qualifying language.

Can you please explain to me why section 502 is not changed?  There is
no restrictions or requirements on who the mayor and council can select
as judges and clerks.

Can you please explain to me in detail, how the section 503 will be
accomplished and paid for?

While I understand the intent of the separate listing, I am concerned
that this involves additional work, and potentially serious issues of
list handling and maintenance of the list.

Specifically, Can you please explain to me in detail, exactly how
section 503.b will be accomplished and paid for?

Can you please explain to me why there are process inconsistencies in
sections 503.c and 503.d?

Can you please explain to me the rational and detailed reasons for
changing section 5.11?

Thank you

bob smith

5001 Riverdale Road