[RP TownTalk] Promotion of Riverdale Park Day October 6th

Aunt Emily ourdollmom at aol.com
Tue Oct 2 20:20:21 UTC 2018

I think it is a good idea to have a celebration on the towns birthday.  And I agree with all that Marianne P. said.  Thanks.    Maybe partner with the mansion and Park/Planning.   Maybe partner with the original businesses for an educational section - (also todays current ones) so we all know who they are.  Partner with the Cafritz/Whole Foods people & the Residential Assn plus all the organizations in our town (including Police Dept) should have a booth plus all the businesses at Cafritz property.  Include the Dog Park & Rescue of animals & who helps out with the wild animals.  Have everybody introducing themselves, maybe giving away free stuff with their names on it. Include the whole Kenilworth Ave stores and businesses.  Maybe have all restaurants have taste minis to advertise their cooking.  Keep pricing for supplies, tasting cooking foods - whatever costs money to enjoy the celebration have it cheap enough so even the poor in Riverdale can come & have fun.  Have our area artists come for a few pennies to show their wares.  Have the  businesses come to show what they teach so people can take classes.  Have a historical book to show the historic houses & have a tour.  The mansion should have a tour & give out their little announcement booklet of what is coming up to see and do.  Include our Riv Elementary,  Wm Wirt, Parkdale, Md U new school by Gosling Pond.  Put up  huge plywood board to have teens & tweens fill in painting, chalking whatever designs you choose maybe what there is to do in our town for kids/youth in black/white drawings for them to chalk in.  Spray over it at the end of day so it is waterproof & put it in a prominent place for all to see the kids artwork.  (I think guy in Mt Rainier will do the computer design for $180 apprx. and he will do the whole side of a building for you - older youth climb on ladders to reach the top and kids stand on the ground.    Give out a flier with all this organized in categories so people can take it home to ponder what they want to do, support, volunteer for etc.  (Brownies, Girl Scouts, EYEFA kids, Boy Scouts, youth sports teams.  What churches & what they have to offer.  We could invite our local Indian tribes to have a space to show how they lived, samples of their life, do dancing &story telling about their culture/past.  Dress in costume for 1700, 1800s.  Have a small boat with Capt John Smith with his trading goods with the Indians goods.  Maybe have big pic of S & J in the old times when the motorcycles came roaring thru town at all hours.  Do we have a pic to hang with it of the other bar room on the other corner - all part of our town history.  Do we have a town historian to blow up some pics of early days of mansion days & early days when the houses were being built & Town Center businesses.i

We have so much here and nobody knows anything.