[RP TownTalk] Call for Market Vendors and FJC Volunteers

Sarah Combs sarahswalk at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 20:12:09 UTC 2019

Hi Folks,

The Food Justice Coalition of 20743 (read the mission statement below and
learn more on the website) is prepping for our 2nd year running a Farmer's
Market in Capitol Heights, a Food Swamp (a place where there is an
abundance of fast food, etc., but little to no nutrient dense foods) just a
few miles from the Route One Corridor. We're excited to announce that we
have secured a new location across from the Capitol Heights Metro station
on Central Ave! This will make the market more accessible to the community
we aim to serve, educate, and engage in reclaiming the food system for the
People of Color that live there.

FJC20743 is entirely volunteer run. Please help out if you can and share
these asks widely!

Do you or someone you know have 1-2hrs a week to help out with digital
communications (social media, light website updates, etc.), working to
bring control of the food system back to this poor and low income Community
of Color?

 Email: centralmarketmd at gmail.com

Are you or yours a maker or vendor of any sort? Fill out the form below if
you think you'd be a good fit for the market opening June 7 in Capitol
Heights! The market will run on Fridays from 4-8pm through the last week of
September. Weekly participation is encouraged but not required.

https://airtable.com/shroivx8hRCBI4pWf

We will need market day volunteers between 2:30 and 8:30pm. This could be a
one-off or several times over the summer as you are available. This can
count toward volunteer hours for teens. Most needed tasks: set-up, break
down, flyer distro on market days, and in advance when possible. Please
fill out the form below and we'll be in touch to talk details:

https://airtable.com/shr4VKPB7MsqgkAGA

Don't have time to help out but still want to support the cause? Consider
making a donation if you are able!

https://www.institutephi.org/donate/ Write The Central Market in the notes.

Mission:

The Food Justice Coalition of 20743 is a group of local organizations and
residents who do the work of establishing food justice throughout the 20743
zip code. We were formed in February 2017 as a joint project of the Prince
George’s County Food Equity Council and the Capital Area Food Bank. We see
that our current food system prioritizes profits over people and takes
power away from communities, especially when those communities are people
of color. We've come together to change that. Our vision for the 20743 food
system is one in which all residents - especially those who suffer at the
hands of systemic racism and a history of disenfranchisement - are in
positions to create and control food production, food business, and food
access in their communities. Our definition of food justice is “affordable,
accessible, quality food for all that reflects what the community wants,
and fosters health and economic growth.

Learn more and sign up for monthly updates here:

https://www.foodjusticecoalition.com/

FJC20743 holds monthly community meetings at Everlasting Life in Capitol
Heights on second Tuesdays.  We know this can be a hard time for folks.
Late-comers and kids are welcome, and you are encouraged to order food and
eat during the meeting, where we will give you updates and ideas for how
you can plug in.

Next meeting:

Tues May 14. 6pm
Everlasting Life vegan restaurant
9185 Central Ave, Ste a, Capitol Heights, MD 20743

Thanks for reading and considering support for FJC20743!

Sarah