[RP TownTalk] Riversdale House Museum Caps Off Summer with a Bang!

Ferris, Samantha Samantha.Ferris at pgparks.com
Thu Aug 15 18:41:05 UTC 2019

Hello!

I hope you are all staying cool during these dog days of summer - take a peek at our Instagram or Facebook pages, where we celebrated last week with some excellent history pooch pics! While summer might be winding down, it's not over yet and we hope you'll be able to join us at the mansion to celebrate this August!

Yoga on the Grounds & Jazz on the Lawn: Wednesday, August 21, 5:30 pm & 7 pm
Next week marks our final Yoga on the Grounds with Numi Yoga. You can sign up on their website or pay as a drop-in $12 -  http://www.numiyoga.com/riversdale. Stay afterwards to enjoy Jazz on the Lawn. Local favorites Cheek to Cheek will round out our FREE summer concert season at 7 pm. There are some great new places to pick up a picnic dinner (our staff has quite the food crush on Banana Blossom Bistro at the moment!) and you can enjoy 10% your growler and wine purchases at Town Center Market.

Battle of Bladensburg Encampment: Saturday, August 24, noon-4 pm, FREE admission to grounds & activities;
Join us for this annual fan favorite! This year, the reenactment takes place on the actual battle anniversary! Enjoy tacticals, historic demos, children's activities and a scavenger hunt, visit with our partners, and help Fort McHenry Ranger fold a giant Star-Spangled Banner (like, we're talking REALLY big, folks!). If that builds up an appetite, enjoy gourmet grilled cheeses from Cheeze on Wheels or ice cream from our Kitchen Guild (Sensing a dairy theme? Fun fact - Mrs. Calvert ran a butter business from Riversdale).

September brings lots of fun events to ease you into fall. Love a good freebie? Take advantage of Grandparents Day on September 8. Whether they go by Grandpa, Grammy, Pop-Pop, Gram, or some other adorable name, they're all free with a paid admission!  We will also be participating in Smithsonian Museum Magazine Day on September 21 when all tours are free with a Smithsonian ticket.

Currently, a wedding exhibit marking 200 years of Calvert family weddings is on view (it's pretty cool, if we do say so ourselves) and two programs tie into the exhibit. On September 8, join us for a lecture, The Brief and Glorious History of Tucker Porcelain, by Alexandra Kirtley from the Philadelphia Museum of Art. When Charles Benedict Calvert married his wife, Charlotte, her purchased $600 worth of porcelain for his new bride - over $16,000 worth of porcelain today! If you still have a box of wedding photos, mementos, and invitations that you're "going to scrapbook one of these days," join us for a Collage Workshop on September 22 with mixed media artist Susan Farrer.
Interested in more info on these programs? Email riversdale at pgparks.com<mailto:riversdale at pgparks.com> or call the office at 301.864.0420. Want to see what other neat things are coming in October, November, and December? Head over to our Facebook page and give us a like. We promise you'll be glad you did! https://www.facebook.com/RiversdaleMuseum<https://www.facebook.com/RiversdaleMuseum/?ref=bookmarks>

We hope to see you soon!

Cheers,
Samantha

Samantha Ferris
Education Coordinator
Riversdale House Museum
4811 Riverdale Road, Riverdale Park, MD 20737
Department of Parks and Recreation
The Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission
Samantha.Ferris at pgparks.com<mailto:Samantha.Ferris at pgparks.com> | history.pgparks.com<http://history.pgparks.com/3023/Riversdale-House-Museum>
301.864.0420 | fax 301.927.3498
Sign up for Riversdale's e-list!<http://visitor.r20.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?llr=rx4axyiab&p=oi&m=1108931018481> | View Our Calendar of Events<https://issuu.com/pgparks/docs/1574__pdfriversdalejul-dec2018flipb>
[cid:image001.png at 01D55374.87B119A0]<https://www.facebook.com/RiversdaleMuseum>  [cid:image002.png at 01D55374.87B119A0] <https://twitter.com/Riversdale1801>   [cid:image003.png at 01D55374.87B119A0] <https://www.instagram.com/riversdalehousemuseum/>