[RP TownTalk] MARC Cornerstone Plan

Jonathan W. Ebbeler jebbeler at efusionconsulting.com
Thu Dec 5 03:33:03 UTC 2019

Just my two cents but several years back MTA was planning on scaling back service altogether at the RP station.  It took dragging transit officials before Council and reading them the riot act to get them to back off.  If you push off advocacy to state representatives you have already tacitly acquiesced the point. If local voices don’t demand something, there is no reason for the state to advocate for the town.

A great example of this is the bridge over the tracks to RP Station. This was completely a local effort. One of our former state representatives chaired the state Public Works Committee at the time but state money did not fund its construction.  Regardless of support or lack thereof for the bridge construction, because it was driven by local voices it became a reality.

Service, including continued service, will always depends on ridership metrics. Unfortunately many RP residents end up buttressing the CP ridership statistics due to the better, more frequent service at that station.  Dwight is right - it’s the easiest way to commute into DC.