[RP TownTalk] College Park Academy Joins RPBA

Jeffrey Yorke WashingtonInk at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 05:57:38 UTC 2019

*College Park Academy Joins RPBA*

*Riverdale Park, Md., Dec. 6, 2019* -- The College Park Academy (CPA)
<https://collegeparkacademy.net/>, a Prince George’s County public charter
school offering a rigorous college preparatory education for students in
grades 6-12, has joined the Riverdale Park Business Association, becoming
the group’s latest new member. RPBA, which fell dormant last year and was
reconstituted in January 2019, represents and promotes businesses in
greater Riverdale Park, MD.

“We are thrilled to have a learning institution of College Park Academy’s
stature join us as we push to promote businesses in our community and to
engage community leaders and officials in smoothing the way for business
growth and expansion,” said Michael Herman, Esq, president of RPBA. “The
Academy has made impressive inroads in higher education since its founding
in 2013 including producing its first senior graduating class last May and
we look forward to partnering with them in the future.”

The Academy is indeed unique. In addition to an impressive selection of
course offerings which includes 13 AP courses and seven foreign languages,
CPA students have the added benefit of access to college-level classes and
programs, clubs, and events led by University of Maryland professors and
students. Students are challenged academically and encouraged to excel,
based on their own merits and not of their peers. This non-traditional
approach to acceleration provides them with the rigor that they need to
remain challenged. It also provides Academy teachers the opportunity to
work closely with the students that are experiencing challenges with
certain concepts. With the expert guidance and assistance from professors
and students from UMD, the Academy’s faculty, staff, and students are
challenged and supported. In fact, two CPA students in May graduated high
school a year early, and many others graduated with college credits under
their belts.

“We are very proud of this first graduating high school class and see in
their success evidence that this innovative model of education works,”
UMDPresident and Board Chair of the College Park Academy Wallace D. Loh
said in a press release issued at the time. “Thanks to the combined efforts
of political leaders, the community, the university, parents, and the
students, this public-charter, blended-learning approach is the future of
education.”

“College Park Academy is delighted to connect to the Riverdale Park
community,” said Duane Arbogast, Ed.D., Chief of Strategy and Innovation at
The Children's Guild and Interim Executive Director at the Academy. “We
believe we this association will allow for deep relationships with local
businesses and community leaders. We think the benefit will be mutual.”

We’d love for your business to also become a member of Riverdale Park
Business Association. Please join us at our holiday party next Wednesday,
Dec. 11 and take the opportunity to become a 2020 member of RPBA. Meet with
our local political and business leaders. Let's share some fellowship,
great food and grog in the company of people who care as much as you do
about where we live and work. Join today and get the 13th month for FREE!

*WHERE*: Denizens Brewing Co., (Riverdale Park Station) 4550 Van Buren St,
Riverdale Park, MD. 20737

 denizensbrewingco.com <http://www.denizensbrewingco.com/>, 240-582-6817
<https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&client=safari&sxsrf=ACYBGNRXV6CwDqzmcTO2xMptUzyLZbwLaQ:1574295656405&q=Denizens&spell=1&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjN9fuqhPrlAhXRjVkKHZgrApQQvS4wAXoECAsQMQ&biw=1635&bih=973&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=38979194,-76981932,4058&tbm=lcl&rldimm=388031485746729017&phdesc=sdHumOgVnbE&rldoc=1&tbs=lrf:!1m4!1u3!2m2!3m1!1e1!1m4!1u2!2m2!2m1!1e1!1m4!1u16!2m2!16m1!1e1!1m4!1u16!2m2!16m1!1e2!1m4!1u15!2m2!15m1!1sserves_1beer!1m4!1u22!2m2!21m1!1e1!1m5!1u15!2m2!15m1!1shas_1wheelchair_1accessible_1entrance!4e2!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!2m1!1e16!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:9&rlst=f>

*WHEN:* Wednesday, December 11, 2019 from 6 to 8 pm

Just tell us who is coming and how many of you will join us so we can be
prepared. RSVPs must be received by Sunday, Dec. 8. We need this to
finalize the food to be purchased. Don't wait until the deadline. Please
RSVP as soon as you can.

*RSVP:* To Jeffrey Yorke at yorkedial at gmail.com.

For more information, contact RPBA President Michael Herman at 240-508-5510

*Denizens Co-Founder Is Radio Active*

*Julie Verratti*, chief brand officer and co-founder of Denizens Brewing
Co., on Thursday joined the* Kojo Nnamdi Show, (noon, *weekdays on WAMU-FM
(88.5), as part of a panel of experts on the current success of local
breweries, cideries and distillers. While the small business panelists
reported that business has been good generally, there could be trouble
ahead as Congress ponders whether to extend federal excise tax relief for
brewers and beer importers. An increase in the tax could adversely affect
nearly 8,000 U.S. brewers including Denizens and other local suds stops. To
hear and learn more from Julie,
https://wamu.org/story/19/12/05/local-breweries-cideries-and-distilleries-are-thriving-will-it-last/

-30-