[RP TownTalk] TownTalk Service lapse

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 22:00:13 UTC 2020

I moderate several listservs which were hosted on Yahoo - which has been
getting increasingly unreliable. I migrated 3 listservs from Yahoo to other
services in November - one group went to Google Groups and two went to
Groups.io. I closed a fourth listserv down because the migration effort was
bigger than the desire to keep the group going. It still lives at Yahoo and
will stay there until Yahoo ends their support.

Migrating to Groups.io cost money - $220 per list. The functionality there
is wonderful - you can read about the functionality here:
https://groups.io/static/features  They did all the work to import my
groups - including transferring the names, emails, and all the files
associated with the group on Yahoo. It was no work for me, and the archives
of the previous groups is still accessible to our subscribers.

Migrating to Google Groups is free, but you do all the work, and I don't
think that there's an option to transfer the archives. It took me two weeks
to transfer the member subscriptions for that group because I could only
transfer 100 people per day, in chunks of 10 addresses at a time. It was
very time consuming. The functionality is bare bones. I personally will not
migrate any more groups to Google Groups, but I can see why people would
prefer that option (basically: it's free).

I personally think the decision about WHICH group we should shift our Town
listserv to should be left to town staff who will have to manage the
migration process.

As to the question of *whether* to continue TownTalk - I would very much
like to do that. I like being able to search the archives for things like
"plumber recommendations", and I like the discourse about topics of
interest (when that discourse is civil). Social media isn't a great forum
for people to post long answers (like mine!)

-Sarah

***

*Sarah Wayland, Ph.D.* | www.GuidingExceptionalParents.com
<https://www.guidingexceptionalparents.com/>
Supporting students with learning differences & their families

Raising a child with challenges? Sometimes you have to First, Put On Your
Own Oxygen Mask:
https://www.guidingexceptionalparents.com/event/winter-2020-first-put-on-your-own-oxygen-mask/
Class starts Monday January 13th.

Next Book Club is Wed January 15th! Join author Carol Stock Kranowitz live
and in-person as we discuss her international best-selling book, The
Out-of-Sync Child:
https://www.guidingexceptionalparents.com/maryland-book-clubs/