[RP TownTalk] Ward 1 race and this list

Alan K. Thompson twacks at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 18:02:34 UTC 2005

I have to admit that last night, as I was editing the list
description, I thought long and hard about electioneering, and whether
it should be supported/discouraged/banned.  Since elections and
political issues ARE of interest to residents, I thought that these
topics should be discussed; instead of writing about them directly, I
wrote about being polite and considerate of other's opinions.

The other thing I thought was that there SHOULD be a place for all-out
political discussion, where people could write strongly and political
arguments could happen.  The place for that, it seemed, was a separate
list.  I planned to discuss this with the council at tonight's
meeting.  I could imagine creating a separate, ward1 special election
only, list.  People who wanted to read about that could have their
discussions there, and people who weren't interested could avoid it.
When someone got upset at the discussion and unsubscribed, maybe they
would remain subscribed to TownTalk.

I haven't thought about this very much (I slept instead).  Does anyone
see any down sides?  I would assume that the archives of the ward1
special election list (and the list itself) would disappear shortly
after the election.

Just my $0.02.

Alan