[RP TownTalk] Ward 1 race

Sarah Wayland twacks at his.com
Tue Aug 30 00:59:17 UTC 2005

>***On the election itself, though, can Vernon or
>someone else answer the question as to whether
>Tracey's replacement will chair the Economic
>Development Committee?  Also, do we have a date
>for a special election?  And will there be an
>interim appointment, as Tracey was appointed by
>Mr. Tiberio to serve out Chris Davis's term
>before being elected in her own right?  Anything
>else we should know about this transition?

Hi Regina,

First of all, Tracey has to officially resign.
The town cannot move forward until she officially
tenders her resignation.

----

Section 209 of the Town Code says:

§ 209: Vacancy
(a) A vacancy shall be declared to exist if a council member resigns, ....

(b) In the event a vacancy is declared within the
first fifteen (15) months of a term, a special
election in accordance with § 510 of this charter
shall be held within forty-five (45) days after
the declaration of the vacancy to fill the
vacancy for the balance of the unexpired term.

(c) In the event a vacancy is declared during the
last nine (9) months of a term, the mayor shall
appoint, within forty-five (45) days after the
declaration of the vacancy and with confirmation
by a majority of the remaining council members, a
qualified person from the ward for which the
vacancy exists to fill the vacancy for the
balance of the unexpired term.

----

Regarding the Economic Development Committee and
its chairperson, the town laws aren't real
specific. Section 2-1 of the Town Code says:

§ 2-1. Committees. [Revised 3-6-95.]

The Mayor, with the approval of the Council,
shall appoint standing and other committees of
the Council to perform such functions and be
composed of such members as the Mayor may
designate. The standing committees shall be
Finance, Public Works, Public Safety and
Legislative.

----

It seems to me that the Mayor could choose to
appoint the new Ward 1 councilor as the chair of
the Economic Development Committee, or, if the
council agrees, shift who chairs each committee
as he sees fit. If *I* were mayor, I'd wait to
see who got elected and then decide if they were
a good chair for that committee.

-Sarah

--

Sarah Wayland & Alan Thompson