[RP TownTalk] My proposal to repeal the Town Crier section of the Code

Rob Oppenheim rob.oppenheim at comcast.net
Fri Dec 2 17:32:35 UTC 2005

I am glad Mr. Kiernan explained his reasons for wanting to repeal
Chapter 3 of the town code, which deals with the Town Crier.
Below are some observations and corrections to his assertions.

Mr. Kiernan wrote, "...Riverdale Park is the only municipal
government in Maryland to have a law defining the operation of
its town newsletter..."

If the law serves the town well, then we should have it,
regardless of what other municipalities do.
We can lead as well as follow!

Chapter 3 was designed to prevent elected officials from using
the Crier inappropriately. It established guidelines to ensure
elected officials equal, defined access to the Crier and to
ensure access to citizens. It also prevents elected officials
from micro managing the paper and dictating all its content.

Mr. Kiernan wrote that the editor was "... Refusing to stay
within budget..." Actually the Crier is well under budget.
The Crier budget was increased by $8,000 this fiscal year
so that larger Crier's could be produced.

Mr. Kiernan wrote that the editor was "... Refusing to include
any information in Spanish." Actually, all the Spanish that was
submitted appeared in the Crier. Every issue had at least a line
of Spanish. I was looking for a way to expand on this - to do
whole issues or at least significant portions in Spanish with an
approach that would not break the Crier's limited budget and that
could be done with appropriate editing and quality translations.
Unfortunately, finding the time to devote to that goal became
increasingly difficult as attacks-from Mr. Kiernan and others-
consumed ever-greater amounts of my time.

Mr. Kiernan wrote the editor was "...Refusing to include
advertising for the Riverdale Farmer's Market..." Actually a
farmers' market ad ran in every issue. There was a question over
which ad should have appeared in the July-Aug Crier, but there
was an innovative ad and companion article in that issue (page
13). Indeed, this promotion may have helped the Farmer's Market
achieve their highest attendance day ever in the following month.

Section 3-9 provides something of a shield for the editorial
staff. When Mr. Kiernan tried to prevent publication of the
Candidate Forum in the May 2005 issue (page 5), Section 3-9
allowed me to run it despite his strong objections.

Section 3-9 also allowed me to seek and run an opposing viewpoint
to Mr. Kiernan's November Public Safety Report ("Who Should
Decide How Streets Are Used?" vs. "It's Time for the Town to
Fulfill Its Commitment to Public Safety" Both pieces appear on
page 4 of the November 2005 issue).

The above referenced Criers are available online at www.rptc.us.

Chapter 3 of the code could use some improvements.

I would like to see an official grievance/complaint procedure
that starts with (1) talking to the editor, then (2) talking to
the town administrator, then (3) going before the mayor and
council for resolution by a 4-vote majority of the council.

I would like to see wording added that allows the mayor and
council to override or dictate an editor's decision or policy by
a 4-vote majority of the council.

I would support a clause that the editor could be fired by a
unanimous vote of all 6 council representatives.

The above changes would help insure that the Crier reflects
the political will of the town without opening the Crier up
to abuse by politicians.

You can read Chapter 3 of the Town Code here:
http://www.ci.riverdale-park.md.us/AboutRiverdalePark/LawsOfTown/Code.pdf