[RP TownTalk] Special Election 12-10-05

Jack R. Jones jrjones at smart2.net
Thu Nov 10 07:11:04 UTC 2005

Jack R. Jones here:

As has been known for sometime, I announced that I intended to run
for the Ward 1 Council Seat when Tracey Toscano resigned.

Due to a health problem that has started recently. After some
considerable testing, with no determination of cause, I have decided
to drop my candidacy for the council seat special election.

The issue is a vertigo like condition that can debilitate me for a
day or two at a time. Given the importance of doing the job and doing
it well; I could not in good conscience run for the office when I
have no idea when the "vertigo" will onset. Meanwhile I will be
trying to track down the cause and the cure.

I have known Rob for quite a while from the Citizens for Open
Government Days and the days that the Town Crier was the Riverdale
Voice (if memory serves) and an independent newspaper, over the
years, it has been eroded by every administration in to a smaller
paper and the loss of the letters to the editor during the Ferguson
Administration made it merely a voice of the government instead of a
voice of the people like it had been in the first years. I would like
to see the Town Crier returned to its original function of being a
voice of the Citizens of Riverdale.

My experience with Rob over the years has been of one who is
independent of thought, thorough in his investigation of subject, and
reasonable in his agreement or opposition. I appreciate his
considerate explanation of his reasons when we are in disagreement on
an issue, it is ever so much better than the brush off that is more
usual in my experience. And very importantly, I feel that it is
possible to make a reasonable case with him and actually persuade him
to a different course of action.

He is multi-issued and an independent thinker and for that he has my
support, for that is what I would try to bring to the office, had I
run and won. I know that those who supported me in the last election
are independent thinkers and I would ask you to give this
independent, Rob Oppenheim, your support as you did me.

Sincerely,
Jack R. Jones

--
"We have met the enemy, and he is us!" Pogo Possum
http://theriverdaleobserver.blogspot.com