[RP TownTalk] Ward 1 Seat News

Maureen E. Farrington freckles at portal.nothingbutshell.net
Sat Nov 12 00:53:37 UTC 2005

Greetings, Neighbors,

I, Maureen Farrington, have decided not to run for the Ward 1 seat.

I am looking forward to the election.  Three friends of mine, Roland
Walker, Bruce Wernek, and Rob Oppenheim, are all distinguished candidates,
and I trust that whoever is elected will represent Ward 1 in a manner that
will make all of us proud.

When Rob called me a few weeks ago to tell me he was thinking of running
for the Ward 1 seat, we chatted excitedly about our campaigns and ended
the conversation with gleeful optimism about the election.  I was pleased
at the prospect of running against yet another worthy candidate, and happy
for my neighbor who loves this town as much as I do.

At Monday's council meeting, I watched Rob with the same critical eye I'd
had on Roland, Bruce, and Jack at previous meetings.  I realized that a
lot of the qualities I saw myself bringing to the council - consensus
building, fresh ideas, and a long time resident's appreciation to the
subtleties of Riverdale Park - could be brought by Rob as well as I could
do.  With that, I recalled that the earnestness he displayed at Monday's
meeting had been present at every meeting I had attended.  I have known
Rob for nearly a decade and witnessed the passion he brings to any
project, and it's impressive.

While it would be easy to say that I am withdrawing from the race for
personal reasons, honestly, if I felt that I were the best candidate, I
would make the sacrifices.

In the meanwhile, I intend to contribute my talents to our town whereever
they will best serve.   My heart is in Riverdale Park, and I want to see
it thrive.

Thank you all,

Maureen Farrington