[RP TownTalk] Trader Joes, Beer/wine in grocery stores

David Hiles hilesd at mac.com
Sat Oct 15 01:05:56 UTC 2005

Some people want retailers like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's to set up
in our area.  People like me...

One of the pieces of the Whole Foods/Trader Joe's business plan is to
be able to sell neato assortments of wines as part of their selection.
Justin Ross' idea below is right on target.  If we want to have
possibilities like that in the Riverdale Park area, we should get our
MUTC/retail strips included in his bill.  I 'd like the Rt 1 corridor
from IKEA down to the DC line should be included in this plan.  His
point re grass roots lobbying is pertinent to retailers like Trader
Joe's because they are aware that marketing models  don't tell them
everything.

The item below is clipped from a HOPE thread about PG County angst and
the new Aldi on Hamilton St.  We CAN make a better PG County!

> Message: 6
>    Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 16:39:50 -0400
>    From: "Delegate Justin Ross" <justin_ross at house.state.md.us>
> Subject: Trader Joes in Hyattsville
>
> Dear Hyattsville Neighbors,
> I, like most of you, believe that the Hyattsville area can support a
> Trader
> Joes or similar quality establishment. One thing that would greatly
> help the
> cause of getting Trader Joes to Hyattsville, according to Trader Joes,
> is
> giving them the ability to sell wine. To that end, I have submitted
> legislation for the upcoming legislative session to create a liquor
> license
> exclusively for off-sale and within the geographic area of the Arts
> District. I have spoken with Senator Pinsky who is also supportive of
> this
> idea. We will definitely need your support in getting this bill passed.
> Additionally, the point about Trader Joes being susceptible to the
> grass
> roots lobbying effort is a great one. Is there a point person in
> Hyattsville
> that we (electeds) can work with on the letter writing campaign? I
> think we
> should start very, very soon.
>
> Sincerely,
> Delegate Justin Ross