[RP TownTalk] Not a class issue

David Hiles hilesd at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 18 04:26:17 UTC 2005

jared, wow. who are you?  i think you may be confusing class with
money, like many americans.  class exists and it is part of how people
make their daily decisions.  but i don't think high income equates
class. neither do shopping tastes.   if you are interested in creating
a more interesting area in our fair county, as i am, money is part of
the mix.

people with higher incomes do have more choices in some ways than those
who don't.  if you want more people with higher incomes in this area,
you have to provide things here which they are interested in. if you
think they like driving to silver spring and bethesda and annapolis and
pentagon city to get their stuff i'd say... not so much.  if they have
things that they like, then all of a sudden there is a bakery over
there. and a model train store over here. and a cool little dress shop
over there.  they start spending money in the neighborhood rather than
in  montgomery county and more shops decide to open up.  i've been here
more than 10 years, i'd like to see more stuff for me in the area.  i'd
like to see our town gov't work to help make that happen.

btw, i grew up sometimes getting a sip of chilled ripple (a sweet pear
fortified something, i don't think you can call it wine) while sitting
out in the front yard.  i definitely prefer it chilled. i've looked for
it a few times in the last ten years, but no joy.  if anybody knows of
a source, let me know.