[RP TownTalk] Trader Joes, Beer/wine in grocery stores

The Curries the.curries at verizon.net
Tue Oct 25 23:47:38 UTC 2005

Dear Riverdale Park neighbors,

I followed up with the Prince George's Board of License Commissioners about
the specifics of the liquor laws.  Here is the gist of the response from
their office:

1.  State law prohibits "supermarkets" and "chain stores" from holding
liquor licenses.  There were three Supermarket chains in the County that
held licenses previous to the law's enactment: Giant, Shopper's, and Food
Lion.  These chains were "grandfathered" when the legislation was enacted.

2.  State law also only allows one license per "person," which can be
defined as a corporation and not just an individual.  Thus, the three
grandfathered chains can only hold one license apiece.  That is why there is
not more than one Giant, for example, in the County that sells beer and
wine.

3.  There is more recent legislation -- a 1996 moratorium enacted by the
General Assembly -- that prohibits *any* new off-sale licenses to be granted
in Prince George's County.

4.  Certain businesses, like Franklin's in Hyattsville, had Class D (beer
and wine) licenses prior to 1996 and were grandfathered under this
legislation.  (Franklin's is neither a "chain store" nor a "supermarket" so
was not affected by the earlier restrictions on those businesses.)

The upshot is that Trader Joe's, or any grocery chain, would not be allowed
to hold a liquor license in Prince George's County under prevailing
legislation.  Del. Ross' legislation would be to lift that restriction in
the Gateway Arts District, although I have not seen the text of the
legislation so a number of questions remain unanswered.

I'm cross-posting this to the Hyattsville HOPE list since that is where the
discussion started.

Hope this information is helpful --

Chris Currie