[RP TownTalk] Queensbury Buses

Dannielle Glaros dmglaros at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 12:51:37 UTC 2006

I'm really glad that we have an alternative to driving on 410 that
goes through our town and connects to our town center.  I've used the
bus a few times and if it was more convenient on Saturdays, I would
probably use it then too.  Given the level of development happening
at PG Plaza and the future movie theatre (which I believe is a
reality), it would be great to reach this area without a car.  The
more choices people have to get places (bike, walk, bus, metro, MARC)
the less traffic we will have as development increases around us.

My husband and I only have one car between us.  Part of it is by
choice--using less resources, protecting the environment--and part of
it is financial--why pay monthly payments on something that declines
in value over time?  Public transportation is part of what attracted
us here to Riverdale Park.

We should push WMATA and The Bus to offer buses on these streets
which pollute less and even run smaller buses.  I used to ride a
small WMATA bus years ago when I lived in Chevy Chase DC.  When it
was too cold or wet to walk to metro, I caught the bus.  It was a
perfect size for navigating the streets.

I would also recommend keeping Queensbury open for traffic.  Of
course, you could close it which would mean, I believe a few
things...a worse backup on 410 (I already find it hard to turn into
my neighborhood during some times of the day), more idle traffic
spewing gas fumes in our neighborhood (many of us live near 410) and
personally I would stop shopping at anything near/at PG Plaza.  It
would be too difficult to get there unless there were safe bike
routes or a frequent bus service.

On a related note, I would like to see expanded bus service on Rt 1.
I'm a big fan of the 83 bus, but the frequency of trips declines
after 6pm and it is slow on Saturday.  Expanded bus service would
mitigate traffic on Rt. 1.

Dannielle

Dannielle Glaros
dmglaros at gmail.com