[RP TownTalk] [TownTalk] traffic concerns

ickyfoot eric at ickyfoot.com
Mon Apr 24 19:15:21 UTC 2006

"Poking around on wmata.com, I saw a claim that PG county is getting
more than our share of the hybrids, because we had more than our share
of the very oldest model of diesels.  If you saw three, then maybe
that really is the case."

Wow.

I'll believe that they are actually delivering more to our county when I
start to see more. The F4 route is in DESPERATE need of upgrading, yet
over the period of time from late October through mid April I rode on
one hybrid bus and only one or two natural gas ones (which have been out
for over a year now). I hope the triple sighting this weekend bodes well
for the immediate future. Many of the buses currently running the route
are shaking piles of metal strapped together with duct tape and hangers
(or may as well be).

And I can tell you from direct experience (i.e. riding on a bike
directly behind buses) that the hybrids and especially the natural gas
buses are just so much cleaner. You can't even smell them, really. They
are still fairly loud compared with a car, but they are much more
tolerable than the regular diesel buses.

-E