[RP TownTalk] [TownTalk] traffic concerns

Andrew Farrington somefool at dvnt.com
Tue Apr 25 13:22:21 UTC 2006

I do live on Queensbury Road, as you know, across the street from you.  :)
I have never had a problem getting into or out of my driveway that 45
seconds of patience didn't fix.

The "trash" issue that Mr. Hiles raises does resonate with me.  (By the
way, Mr. Hiles, I would like to offer you my sincere thanks for your work
toward replacing the rail crossing, and a sincere apology for my outbust
yesterday.)  I clean up trash along the sidewalk and my front lawn every
evening when I get home from work.  However, there is not a bus stop in
front of my house, it's a block north.  I believe much more of this trash
comes from the fact that I live two doors up from a bar and two blocks
from convenience stores in either direction.  This will only increase once
there are tenants in the town center.  I consider it, like my occasional
moment or two waiting to get out of my driveway, a consequence of inner
suburban living.  I chose to buy where I did, rather than in Bowie or even
the deep interior of Hyattsville.  I like being just a couple of blocks
from main roads and close in to the city.  I also like the pedestrian
traffic of people coming and going to and from the bus stops.  I fantasize
that when the town center is filled, perhaps it will be cost-effective for
Public Works to clean up the trash on a daily basis.

My high school buddy grew up on Queens Chapel Road in University Park, and
I can tell you why that road is closed to through traffic.  When WMATA dug
the subway tunnel from College Park to PG Plaza, they dug straight along
its path.  The road and the houses on its north side began to shift, sink
and break.  WMATA closed the road to through traffic -- but /not/ to buses
-- in order to limit the sinking and therefore their liability.

There's also not a MARC station, nor a downtown seeking to attract tenants
-- tenants who will need customers -- on Queens Chapel Road.

Andrew Farrington
4605 Queensbury Road