[RP TownTalk] Queensbury Buses

Andrew Farrington somefool at dvnt.com
Sat Apr 29 13:53:31 UTC 2006

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, David Hiles wrote:

> My messages to this list are being moderated because I was judged to
> have violated the posting standards.
> ************************************
>
> The impact of buses on 410 congestion is minimal. Buses are already on
> all the other segments of 410 between Silver Spring and New Carrollton.
> Who notices buses creating a major delay on the multi-lane stretches
> near us?

I notice buses making a major delay on 410 everywhere but Riverdale Park
and the near stretch of Hyattsville.

> The impact of buses on Queensbury congestion is significant.

False.

> When a bus is in front of you on a two lane road, then you stop when the
> bus stops and you go when the bus goes.

This is a good thing.  People don't need to be doing 50 past my house.

> Frustrated drivers may be tempted to pull around the bus into oncoming
> traffic.  This is not traffic calming.

Relax.

> The negative impact of buses on Queensbury and on town quality of life
> is substantial

False.

> and unnecessary.

False.

> Some people may be satisfied by some notional benefit provided by
> through buses that offsets the quality of life cost.  I am not
> satisfied.

You live on Sheridan.  With all due respect, what is your damage?  Do you
ever even see Queensbury Road?

> Bus traffic is a manageable part of the through traffic load

And well-managed, actually.

> that does not belong on our local streets.

False.

> Some problems have solutions.

And some just aren't problems.

Andrew Farrington