[RP TownTalk] Receipts from Landlord

Roland Walker walker at pobox.com
Wed Aug 9 12:37:20 UTC 2006

I don't think the town has much in the way of landlord-tenant law.
Most of that is governed by the state, and some by the county.

In Prince Georges County, the landlord is required to give a receipt
for security deposits in the form of a provision in the signed lease
which says "so-and-so gave a deposit of this amount".

It isn't customary to give a receipt for each rent payment when made
by check, for the reason your landlord gives.  If you ever were to end
up in court, the canceled checks would be accepted as evidence of
payment.

A good resource if you ever have difficulties with a landlord is
Baltimore Neighborhoods, Inc

   http://www.bni-maryland.org/

which despite the name, provides legal aid throughout Maryland.  They
publish an inexpensive book with landlord-tenant law summarized in
non-legal language.  Some of that content is also published online
here

   http://www.peoples-law.info/Home/PublicWeb/IndexPages/1690000