[RP TownTalk] Anniversary Town Clock

Rob Oppenheim rob.oppenheim at comcast.net
Fri Aug 11 17:52:14 UTC 2006

Andrew your offer to help with the clock sounds great!

You are close enough to be keenly aware of it and have
the needed technical orientation too (the clock controller
is an old micro computer based unit).

And, of course, you wrote that wonderful piece about the
chimes on your blog: http://castironskillet.blogspot.com/

It is a beautiful old clock and no one wants to see it go away.
It just needs to keep better time and not chime at night.

How much are you willing to take on?
[ You can reply to this off list if you prefer. ]

I post the following ideas and questions here in hopes of receiving
additional suggestions.

I would like you to contact the manufacturer www.verdin.com
Hopefully they have a record of this clock. So we can learn
about the following.

Upgrades: find out what upgrades are available to make it more
reliable and what they would cost.

UPS: what is the clocks power consumption requirements?
An uninterruptible power supply might make it much more reliable.

Service: find out what it will cost to have a manufacturer rep service the
clock. It is mechanical and probably needs oiling etc.. I would like the
manufacturer to teach town staff how to do the basic maintenance, e.g.
clean and oil it. Also find out how long can we expect the mechanics to last?

Getting you access to the clock controller will need to be worked out too.
It is on private property in the Gorden Wells building. This building is
for sale, and this might mean we have to move the clock controller
to another location in the near future.

Debbie Murphy (Public Works) is on vacation this week.
I hope to meet with her next week about the clock.
I am sure she has lots of information for us.

Thanks
Rob