[RP TownTalk] Revenue - Problems - Solutions

Gerald King Gerald at geraldking.com
Tue Dec 5 06:34:10 UTC 2006

Mr. Hiles,

Thank you for your informative comments on our town and its government. I am
sorry if my own comments suggested that I was against increasing the pay of
council members and the mayor. I had no such intention especially for my own
council member Rob Oppenheimer who I believe is doing a superb job and
deserves my support.

My question was how do we pay for the increased expense?

Obviously many of our town property owners see nothing wrong with increasing
property taxes. I hope they understand that there are many ways for a
government to raise revenue other than property taxes. Increases in license
fees, permits, of fines are just some of the ways ‘creative’ politicians use
to fill the town coffers.  Then there is the prospect of deficit spending
(usually called ‘investment’) If the cause is good, to hell with questioning
the cost. Pass the costs on to future citizens.

Perhaps I’m being a little sarcastic about this, but then, I know there are
cleaver lawyers, politicians, and opportunists who enjoy pulling the wool
over the eyes of a trusting citizenry.  Who can be against better pay for
hard working civil servants? Who wouldn’t want ‘new ideas, new energy and
new blood’ on our town council?   I certainly “want an efficient town
 staff,” and would “be happy to pay them well enough that they want to stick
around, not leave as soon as they are trained.”

But then I don’t want to lose or burden good citizens who may find tax
increases a hardship. I don’t want to lose or discourage those who do not
believe “The ideal of selfless public service is ancient” and everything is
better when you get paid to do it.

 I believe this town is more indebted to selfless citizens who have had a
vision and willingly volunteered time and energy to make Riverdale a good
place to live and raise families. I believe the loss of our Town Center and
Bookshop, the loss of our mural and historic buildings were not due to the
low salaries of the town council. I do believe the council members deserve a
raise, but not as an incentive to do more or better work. I believe a raise
should make them more appreciative of the unique nature of Riverdale and its
citizen volunteers. Some may think that better rewarded council members are
all that is needed to solve the town’s problems. I believe keeping and
rewarding the best and most benevolent citizens and attracting better
families to settle in Riverdale is of equal if not more benefit to the
future of this community.

Gerald King