[RP TownTalk] Revenue - Problems - Solutions

ABragg7393 at aol.com ABragg7393 at aol.com
Tue Dec 5 13:59:39 UTC 2006

Thank you Gerry for your wonderful, thought out comments.  I agree with you.
We have many people in this town who would find higher taxes a burden.  Some
of the long time residents are on fixed incomes, some of the younger residents
are having a hard time meeting the needs of their families.  Yes, some of us
can pay more taxes but we need to look at the whole picture.
I wasn't going to write anything on this subject simply because the talk here
is about salaries for our Mayor and Council.  We don't pay salaries to our
elected officials.  It is basically a volunteer position.  We pay a stipend for
incidentals related to the position.  We do pay salaries to employees of the
town - The town administrator, the deputy town administrator, the chief of
police, the head of public works and support staff.  We pay competitive salaries
and give good benefits to these people.  They are the ones we have hired to do
the work.  Now if we are to be fair - then why don't we pay the head of the
recreation dept., the historical society, the veterans committee, etc. etc. etc.
 Would we get better quality work.  I would say no.  People volunteer because
they believe in the community and it makes them feel good to do whatever they
can to help promote and make the community a better place to live.  I don't
have a problem with raising the stipend for the representatives but let's call
it what it is.  If the politicians want to make money and make politicing
their paying job, then they need to move up to the state or county level.  I
understand they give you a credit card too!

Audrey