[RP TownTalk] Mayor and Council Salaries

Rob Oppenheim rob.oppenheim at comcast.net
Wed Dec 6 14:53:15 UTC 2006

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 08:59:39 EST, ABragg7393 at aol.com wrote:
>... I don't have a problem with raising the stipend for the representatives
> but let's call it what it is [a stipend not a salary].  If the politicians want to
> make money and make politicing their paying job, then they need to move
> up to the state or county level.

True, the county council is paid nearly 40 times our stipend, but
I am not looking for big bucks - just  less of a burden.

To do this job well takes a lot of time and responsibility.

A stipend that pays roughly the same hourly wage as our lowest unskilled
laborer position would be fine.

And I really do want to encourage people to run for office.
Having choices at our ballot box is an important part of democracy.

Audrey, you have always given generously of your time to this town.
I hope you will continue to do so. Indeed, I hope you will consider running for office.
Your time, energy and can-do attitude would be an asset to the council.

-Rob