[RP TownTalk] Stipend increase

Lou King lking at knob.com
Thu Dec 7 19:34:21 UTC 2006

Hi All,
I was at the council meeting Monday night.  Let me try address some of
the issues raised in this tread as best as my memory will allow.

1. Yes the meeting was on cable. They also tape the meeting and I
understand the tape can be reviewed at city hall. The "Monday" monthly
meeting is both audio and video.  The Working meeting and MUTC are also
on cable but Audio only. My understanding is that this all has to do
with the Maryland sunshine laws.

2. 'Do the opinions voiced on here (TownTalk) carry any weight?' Not
much apparently.  During the discussion of council/mayor compensation,
Oppenheim noted that "TownTalk" was overwhelmingly for the increase,
with one lukewarm endorsement.  Donaldson ask how many endorsed the
increase, Oppenheim said 14.  Best as I remember, Donaldson replied, '14
is not a majority of the town.'  Editorial = By that measure, no one has
ever been elected sense less than 50% of the registered voters even
vote. When unopposed candidates only get about 80% of the votes.

3.  I would not presume to speak for Kiernan either. As I remember his
comments after the issue came up were, 'If you (Oppenheim) had just said
we have not raised the pay for ten years, I would have supported you.
The way you framed it I won't touch it! I will abstain.'

4. Obviously not speaking for Donaldson: My impression was that her
comments were directed at Oppenheim (though not stated). She felt that a
person should research what the pay was and how much work is involved
before running for office.

5. 'Do we need a town petition to get the increase passed?'  Not having
done any research but I would not be surprised if a citizens petition to
increase the pay of council members and a mayor would be a first! In
this case, I would sign.

Lou King