[RP TownTalk] Council Stipend/salary whatever

Gerard Kiernan gerardkiernan at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 8 00:01:35 UTC 2006

To the list members,

I was just going to ignore this brouhaha, but you pushed too many buttons.
Instead of all of the weeping and gnashing of teeth about the positions
taken by Mary Donaldson and me during the meeting, let's look at it from a
different point of view.

The Charter requires four (4) affirmative votes to pass a charter or code
change and adopting or changing the budget. Mrs. Donaldson and I made our
positions clear during the discussion phase before the vote.  Since Mr.
Taylor had called in sick, it should have been obvious to the supporters of
this measure that they did not have the necessary votes to pass it.  At that
point in the discussion, the motion could have been tabled until next
month's meeting when hopefully the necessary "YES" votes would be present
for them to achieve their goal.

So, instead of complaining about me and what I did, you should be
questioning the council/ parliamentary skills of your representatives.

By the way, I am a lousy typist.  So, feel free to call me if you want to
talk and understand more about why I abstained.

Gerry Kiernan
Councilmember, Ward 5
H: 301-277-4554