[RP TownTalk] What's up with abstaining?

Rob Oppenheim oppenheim at email.com
Mon Dec 11 02:25:09 UTC 2006

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 07:36:05 -0800 (PST), Nancy Mooney wrote:
>...what's up with abstaining?  What does that mean?

Sarah listed several reasons why a Councilmember (CM) might abstain from
voting. She left out an important angle. Due to a wrinkle in our Charter,
abstaining often amounts to a super strong "no" vote.

This gets a bit convoluted...

You see, the mayor is not allowed to vote - except to break a tie.

So in a tie situation, a motion can pass if the mayor votes "yes".

A CM can often avoid a tie by abstaining instead of voting "no", and thus
prevent the mayor from having a chance to vote and thus prevent the motion
from being passed by the mayor's vote.

As an example...

If the council vote is a 3 to 3 tie, then the mayor would vote - which might result
in the legislation passing 4 to 3.

If instead, the council vote was 3 yes, 2 no, with one abstaining (or absent) then
there is no tie and the mayor cannot vote. Since the charter also requires a super
majority of 4 affirmative votes to pass legislation, in this example, the motion
would fail.

To summarize, abstaining can be a super strong NO vote that significantly reduces
the chance of a motion passing by preventing the mayor from voting.

This has become the norm for abstaining, so even when there is no chance of a tie,
abstaining might be used to send a signal to other CM.

It is worth noting, that for the recent stipend vote, this may or may not have been the
intent of those abstaining. (I leave it to them if they choose to explain their motives.)

These wrinkles in our Charter also cloud the reasons for abstaining that were described
by Sarah. As an example, she wrote: "(1) You believe that to vote on the issue is a
conflict of interest, and that it is therefore unethical to vote." That could be a good
reason to abstain except that abstaining can actually be a super-no vote - so it might
still be unethical - perhaps even more so.

Ain't politics fun?

-Rob Oppenheim

Ward One Councilman, Riverdale Park
5902 Cleveland Ave