[RP TownTalk] Making your position known

Rob Oppenheim oppenheim at email.com
Fri Dec 8 20:40:34 UTC 2006

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 09:24:19 -0800 (PST), Jennifer Gerwig wrote:
>Do the opinions voiced [on this email list] carry any weight when gauging
>public opinion re: town legislation and direction?

Well, they do with me. I view these emails as written, public statements
that have significant impact. I think some other CM do as well, but not all.
Most but not all council members are subscribed to this list.

Indeed, email is one of the best ways of letting me know your position
and concerns, either by posting to this list, or by directly emailing me.
Calling me works too, although I actually prefer emails.

In general, the council is swayed much more by those who speak
at a meeting than by these emails.

CM Donaldson has occasionally indicated that she values personal
verbal communication over TownTalk emails. Its good that she makes
it clear how constituents can best communicate with her.

I respect CM Donaldson's dedication and hard work on behalf of our town.
She takes her job as financial chair very seriously and pours over every
dollar spent.

Mary Donaldson is undergoing hip surgery today (Fri 12/8/06). Please join
me in wishing her a full and quick recovery.

-Rob Oppenheim

Ward One Councilman, Riverdale Park
5902 Cleveland Ave
Riverdale Park, Md 20737-1930