[RP TownTalk] REVISED: TownTalk Digest Submission

Iris McLaurin elsiegoh at starpower.net
Tue Feb 21 02:35:33 UTC 2006

Ward One Resident Asks: How Can I Help My City, My Ward?

First, Warm Greetings and Congratulations, Rob!  I appreciated the manner in
which Rob put forth the effort to not only work to win the Ward One seat,
but he also always spoke genuinely and highly of his fellow-candidates: my
immediate neighbor, Roland Walker and Bruce Wernek, which illustrated to me
that he is a team player.   Team Management is my preferred modus operandi.

Does any know the costs to hold an event at Riversdale? I understand it can
hold up to 75.   My husband (outstanding jazz artist sensation, Sky Sirewest
SoundChaser!) and I would be interested in working with Rob and other
interested parties to plan a Ward One Meet and Greet.  I admitted to Rob
that my husband and I are very often "missing in action" at community events
due to our work schedule and mentoring commitments; however, I believe there
are probably others like us who would share our talents and skills if
allowances could be made to accommodate us via alternative methods:
e-conferences/ teleconferences/committee "without walls" meetings, etc.  In
2006, many of us work globally, and have global staff that we manage from
our home offices.  I'd like the benefit of giving back to a community that I
love very much.

My neighbor, Roland, has on occasion teased me about my "taking resources"
out of the Riverdale community, because I work so much with the Hyattsville
folks on their campaigns and elections, and my youth development programs
are in Takoma Park and District Heights.  Well, Roland's right...and I'd
like the opportunity to sow some seeds at home.  Rob won my vote because he
convinced me of his insight and commitment to seek ways to motivate Ward One
residents to become a more productive group and a more inclusive group by
tapping into the genius of our residents.  My sleeves are rolled up, I want
to help--what are the alternatives?

Iris