[RP TownTalk] Talking to the Town: Two Proposals

David Hiles hilesd at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 17 01:48:46 UTC 2006

Best wishes for the new year.

Two proposals for more open gov't and a more easily informed
citizenry in our fair municipality:

1) Back in November, the Mayor made a few comments on TownTalk.  That
was cool!  Maybe I'm a freak, but I'd like to see MORE Talk from our
elected Town leaders on TownTalk.  Communicate with the lurking
public, etc.

These elected guys and gals already "Talk" to the "Town" multitudes
at the council meetings, so maybe we have sufficient
"TownTalk" (TalkTown?) going on through that venue.  But, maybe not.
I miss out on that great part of "TownTalk" because I'm not at those
meetings and I don't have cable.  Since I'm not there, they aren't
Talking to me.  Or if they are, I can't hear them.  Anyway, I would
like to be able to keep abreast of town matters in an efficient,
modern manner.  It would be great if people like me could keep up
without _having_ to go to the meetings.

2) How about this?  Start posting the council meeting draft (and
final) minutes on TownTalk.  If  that proves too intrusive, set up
another mail list (like that Ward 1 Electioneering list!) and post
the minutes there. The minutes are already being typed into Word, so
it should be straightforward and not too much more work.  That way,
the Town would be Talking to the over 90 members of this list, not
just the many people at the meetings.  It would be another way to do
something about being an open, accessible government.  Of course,
some times some list members would Talk Back to the Town, but that
should be OK too.

I'd like to see draft minutes soon after the meeting, like within two
business days.  If they were identified as draft, then great.   Busy-
but-interested people could keep somewhat misinformed on a timely
basis.  Waiting until the minutes were approved would add way too
much delay (and little meaningful correction) to the process.
Approved minutes should of course also be posted as they become
available.

I'd like this to start happening imperfectly soon, rather than wait
for some excellent implementation a year from now.  Sometimes
imperfection is an impetus to virtue.

WE are who we have been waiting for.
http://riverdalepark.blogspot.com/