[RP TownTalk] Video and Audio Streaming (Rob Oppenheim)

Jack R. Jones jrjones at smart2.net
Tue Jan 24 03:16:27 UTC 2006

Dear Rob,

I assume that most people are busy like I am
doing volunteer work in several different
organizations so that it is not always an option
to come to a work or legislative session...some
times civic duty just takes me else where. So it
is that if I do not make the meeting, I am also
not likely to be able to watch a live broadcast
of the meeting. So a video of the meeting would
be a low priority for me

On the other hand, access to the minutes in my
own time frame would be most excellent. A table
of contents summary of topics discussed and/or
actions taken would also help in a time crunch so
I could mark those minutes to come back and read
later.

Thanks for your good thoughts and efforts,
Jack

>    3. Re: Video and Audio Streaming (Rob Oppenheim)
>
>Message: 3
>Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 21:33:22 -0500
>From: Rob Oppenheim <rob.oppenheim at comcast.net>
>Subject: Re: [RP TownTalk] Video and Audio Streaming
>To: TownTalk <towntalk at riverdale-park.org>

>I like Roland's suggestion of archiving the
>meetings on Google Video. That would be a good
>way to minimize our bandwidth costs. The only
>minor downside that I see is it requires Mac OS
>X 10.3 or higher or Windows 2000 or later
>(Windows 98 is not supported) and there is a few
>days delay before they put it up.
>It appears that Google does not host live
>broadcasts. So if we want to do live webcasts,
>then we have to find an additional method.
>Before we do a whole lot of work (or spend money
>on this) I would like to know if there is real
>interest. That is, will anyone actually watch? I
>would not expect many watchers. I would think
>that 5 or 10 watchers would justify it. This
>TownTalk discussion is helpful in gauging
>interest.
>
>*** Please post if you think you might watch a
>live Webcast of the town meetings. ***
>If we are serious about two-way communications,
>that is, getting home viewers a chance to
>comment, we would do well to consider web
>meeting software. Such software can include
>video, audio, whiteboards, document sharing,
>real-time polls, annotations, chat, question
>manager, and even seating charts.
>Could be a real step forward for democracy.
>Rob
>An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 4
>Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 09:09:45 -0600 (CST)
>From: <ng_md at verizon.net>
>Subject: [RP TownTalk] great electrician
>To: towntalk at riverdale-park.org
>
>Greetings all -
>I don't know if we've discussed and agreed that
>recommending contractors is an acceptable use of
>this list. I've been on several other
>neighborhood lists that DO, one that even keeps
>an ongoing internet-accessible
>(password-protected) listing of recommended
>contractors. My apologies in advance to those of
>you that object; time to put that good old
>"delete" key into use.
>
>I am very happy to recommend an electrician that
>is responsive, communicative, thorough, and
>experienced with older houses. I hired Crieger
>Electric to upgrade my panel to 200 amps [fyi,
>after checking around some, the going rate on
>this job seems to be about $2000] and do some
>other small electrical work around my house.
>They showed up when they said they would show up
>and stayed until the job was done.  Nice to know
>that operations like this still exist.  Located
>in Virginia, but he told me he's happy to come
>to Maryland, and he's especially interested in
>our little burg, older houses that need the kind
>of work done that I just had done. Not sure, but
>I think some of his crew live in Maryland, too.
> [...]

"We have met the enemy, and he is us!" Pogo Possum
http://theriverdaleobserver.blogspot.com