[RP TownTalk] Questions : Floods and violent dogs.

David Michailof drmsparks at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 3 17:53:22 UTC 2006

Hi Everyone!

I haven't seen anything on the list regarding the
recent flooding and I have some questions that I need
answered.  We also have a violent dog issue I'd like
to get advice on.

I live in ward one, in the northeast corner of Rt 1
and E-W highway (46th ave).  We had some flooding in
the neighborhood due to storm drains overflowing and
storm grates clogged with trash and debris.  From the
neighbors I've talked to I'd say between 6" and 2 1/2'
depending on exactly where you live.

This has left us with several questions:

1. How does the "disater area" designation affect us?
Can we file claims for the damage? (I guess with FEMA
or the state)

2. What are the towns maintence proceedures for storm
drains or is this a WASA issue?  If it is WASA, is
there anyway for the town to make sure they are
properly and periodically doing the required
maintenance on the system?  Had the grates been open
and the lines free of debris we would not have had any
flooding.

3. I've been told that previously (8-10 years ago)our
neighborhood experienced severe flooding due to a
failure of a WASA valve or pump in our neighborhood,
along the concrete creek(similiar to edmonstons ill
luck).  I was told that the town had taken steps to
ensure this system was properly maintained and was
wondering what these steps were.

Our next problem has to do with a violent dog.  One of
our neighbors has a pit bull cross, un-neutered and
poorly trained.  I have called animal control on two
different occastions when the animal has escaped
(easily jumps fence and has "runways" underneath
it)and attacked passing leashed animals.  Other
neighbors have also reported attacks to animal control
when they witness them.

Animal control has also been called when the owners
have been beating the dog in the yard, usually with
sticks or straps.

To date animal control has done nothing.

The last attack that occured was last friday and both
animal control and the Riverdale Park Police were
called.  Animal control as usual did NOTHING.  The
police said it was completely out of their
jurisdiction  and did nothing either.

Is there anything that can be done before the animal
graduates to attacks on people?

Thanks for your time with this,

David Michailof

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter"  -Martin Luther King Jr.